Thursday 11 February 2010

Disposable Girls

The wine tasted cheap. You’d think they’d have the money, but I guess that’s just it.
Launch parties just get old after a while. You get all these directors, executives shaking hands with people who they know their screwing over. I loved that world, I didn’t know how I got there, I guess it was inevitable.
We were sitting at a table, I never really danced.
“So who was that woman I saw you with?” – Max was a partner, for years we cut the corners, he knew everything.
“You can keep a secret...” I knew he couldn’t. “I found her on the street, took her back to my place, got her some clothes...”
“...You’re fucked up.”
It’s not as bad as it sounds. I did her a favour. It was early; six AM maybe. She was lying on the concrete, all dirty and pale. I picked her up; I thought she’d had it, too much smack. But she woke up at my place soon enough. I didn’t say much, I gave her some clothes, she got the idea.
“Oh, there she is...”
“Oh shit,” I said. She walked in all drunk and fucked up. I forgot to lock her in my hotel room.
My clients where there, my colleagues... I was hoping she didn’t see me. She stumbled around the punch table chatting to some guy. I recognised him; pretty sure he was very gay. And then she looked over and saw me, she came over and sat on the chair next to me. She reeked of booze and smoke.
“Do you love me?” She said, looking around. I didn’t even know this girl, heck I found her on the street; we hadn’t even had a ‘real’ conversation.
“No.”
Then she went to kiss me, I turned away and she hit me pretty hard, the bitch.
“You’re an arsehole...”
Fuck this, I thought, I was going to Hong Kong in a few days, my Mandarin was great. I got up and went out. My clients were looking at me, everyone was looking at me. I didn’t care, that life was disposable. I write this now on the 13th floor of a suave hotel in Dongguan. I work for the Chinese now, they need my words, my slogans. That’s what I do.
The maid stayed with me last night – Asian girls are funny.
I don’t know what happened to that homeless girl, she’s probably back on the streets, I don’t really care. I work for the Chinese now.

No comments:

Post a Comment